Friday 26 April 2013

Two IPAs...

...American style, obviously, but both from rather cracking West Yorkshire breweries. First up one of my favourites, Ilkley Brewery's Lotus IPA. At 5.6% abv it isn't a heavy hitter  compared to the US imports, but is fairly malty (like say a Czech pilsner) and full bodied, while being tangy and stuffed with tropical fruit flavours, it wallops all the bases rather than just being a hop bomb. A cracking beer I'd recommend to anyone.


looks good... not my pic, just one off the interwebs. If it's yours and you don't want it on here ask me nicely and I'll find another, or disable hotlinking. ;)


Moving on to Saltaire Brewery's Stateside IPA, at a slightly more robust 6% abv. This sets out its stall immediately as a hop-forward gob-puckerer, thinner and less balanced than the Lotus but with some tasty pine resin and citrus US hop flavours. Goes down scarily quick for the strength and is very enjoyable. Another win for Saltaire - I actually wanted their excellent Kala Black IPA, but Keelham Farm Shop was out of stock so I got this to try instead. On balance I'd rather have the Kala as I'm a sucker for Munich malt, but this is a very good beer so I won't sulk too much. Doubleplusgood. *hic*


(Again, not my pic - this is actually off the SB website I think. Let me know if you'd rather I took my own pic lads if that's the case)


No comments:

Post a Comment