Friday 26 April 2013

Oh dear, I don't think I qualify as a leftie any more

...since I appear to agree almost word for word with the current council manifesto for UKIP. This has come as something of a shock to me; I always regarded myself as a natural left-winger, not withstanding my  disillusionment with the Labour Party in recent years; I assumed that fairness must reside with the left. But since Labour appear to have abandoned the disadvantaged to chase the Southern floating voter (most disgustingly with the failure to oppose the workfare clawback bill of IDS) I have been looking at alternative expressions of my views. I have long been sceptical of the EU, due to the fact that immigration has both depressed wages at the bottom of the labour market and displaced English workers from much casual work. I believe Tony Benn was correct and that it has done the man in the street no favours being part of the (expensive) club. We *should* leave.

So I guess I have no current affiliation, other than, tentatively, UKIP, along with many other disenfranchised former lefties. the future will be interesting. They aren't just little Englanders and Daily Mail readers any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment